Friday, May 8, 2009

If Music be the Food of Love, Play on.

Ah, Mr Shakespeare, did you really know all there was to know?
Or did you just guess?
Crazy how it seems that you can find all the answers to the world in
two little books:
The Bible
&
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
I sit here, laughing at myself, because did I really just realize this?
Really?
Music is so important in my life.
It fills me up.
It gives me a release of all emotions,
whether it's happiness, motivation, grief, love, fear, anger...
It lets me say what I need to say with someone else's words.
And somehow, it feels safer that way.
Sometimes I go looking for that release, wanting to just...shake it out.
But other times...
Other times it just creeps up on me,
Unexpected.
Those are the times I feel the music before I actually hear it.
It washes over me, so subtly at first, then, before I know it,
I just give way to it,
letting it take me where I so obviously need to go.
It's a very cathartic experience.
Here I am, creating something on Photoshop, singing along with Journey, Prince, Kelly, Janis, Meatloaf, Flo Rida, absentmindedly...
when all of a sudden a silly little song comes on.
One I've yet to listen to off of Katy Perry's "One of the Boys."
All of a sudden, the hairs on my arms rise,
my eyes start to water,
my breathing seems to slow down,
and then...
Release.
I didn't even know the song.
I didn't even listen to the words.
But there was something about the sound of it that got me.
And now,
I'm spent.
I'm done.

2 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Speaking of, I TOTALLY have a song that I want you to hear. Every time I hear it on my i-pod I say "Jere, I really want to give this song to Liz." I promise to someday get it to you, it's very meaningful. Anyway, love ya, hope you're doing ok.

Hey It's Di said...

Seriously girl have you thought of writing a book? You write so beautifully!! I love music too and am often so caught up in it that I can shut out the world.